Dear FORwards members,
Please find below the Autumn updates from the FORwards community.
Successful launch of the FORwards Webinar Series…
We are thrilled to share that the launch of the Fear of Recurrence Webinar Series was a great success. The first webinar on the social context of fear of cancer recurrence was held on 22nd September 2020 and had over 70 attendees. Thank you to our speakers and to all the clinicians, researchers, and individuals with lived experience who tuned in and engaged in an active Q&A at the end. The full recording is now available through the IPOS website and is free to current IPOS members or $15 USD to non-members: https://www.ipos-society.org/webcasts
…and save the date for the next Webinar: 8th December 2020
The second webinar in the series will be held on 8th December 2020 (note: 9th December in Australia/NZ) and is entitled ‘A burden shared: group-based interventions for fear of cancer recurrence’. We have a lineup of four fantastic speakers: Dr. Mia Skytte O’Toole, Drs. Christine Maheu and Sophie Lebel, and Dr. Marije van der Lee. Of note, this webinar will be in a Europe-friendly time zone. Please watch your inboxes for a full invitation, timing information, and a link to register.
Looking for international collaborators?
Are you seeking international collaborators for a research project on fear of cancer recurrence? Perhaps you are looking to validate a new FCR measure in a different language, to expand your clinical trial oversees, or simply to boost your sample size? We can share your collaboration request with the FORwards community. Please send an email to [email protected] and we will forward your email to the FORwards mailing list.
Attention PIs & supervisors – FCR research project looking for a home
FORwards has identified a need for the development and publication of a set of Core Outcome Domains and Measures for Fear of Cancer Recurrence/Progression Studies and Clinical Trials. The development of these core outcome domains could follow a similar structure as this influential paper published in the field of pediatric pain. This project would be ideal for a funded PhD student or postdoc who is looking to lead an important project and to get better connected with the FCR community. The FORwards leadership team cannot provide funding but can support this project through connecting the research team with international experts for the purposes of collaboration and a Delphi study. PIs - please contact [email protected] if you are interested in taking on this project.
FORwards members have been hard at work publishing new papers on fear of cancer recurrence and progression over the last few months. Below is a selection of new papers of interest to our SIG members.
- Reb AM, Borneman T, Economou D, Cangin MA, Cope DG, Ma H, Ruel N, Sharpe L, Patel SK, Cristea M, Koczywas M. A nurse-led intervention for fear of cancer progression in advanced cancer: A pilot feasibility study. European Journal of Oncology Nursing. 2020
- Heathcote LC, Loecher N, Simon P, Spunt SL, Jordan A, Tutelman PR, Cunningham S, Schapira L, Simons LE. Symptom appraisal in uncertainty: a theory-driven thematic analysis with survivors of childhood cancer. Psychology & Health. 2020 Oct 16:1-8.
- Tutelman PR, Heathcote LC. Fear of cancer recurrence in childhood cancer survivors: A developmental perspective from infancy to young adulthood. Psycho‐Oncology. 2020 Oct 17.
- Nahm SH, Blinman P, Butler S, Tan SC, Vardy J. Factors associated with fear of cancer recurrence in breast and colorectal cancer survivors: A cross‐sectional study of cancer survivors. Asia‐Pacific Journal of Clinical Oncology. 2020 Oct 20.
- Bae KR, Cho J. Research Trends for Nurse-led Interventions to Decrease Fear of Cancer Recurrence. Asian Oncology Nursing. 2020;20(1):20-7.
- Vachon E, Krueger E, Champion VL, Haggstrom DA, Cella D, Cohee AA. The Impact of Fear of Cancer Recurrence on Healthcare Utilization Among Long‐Term Breast Cancer Survivors Recruited Through ECOG‐ACRIN Trials. Psycho‐Oncology. 2020 Oct 6.
- Smith AB. Integrating fear of cancer recurrence screening into routine care: Opportunities and challenges. Psycho‐Oncology. 2020 Sep 25.
- Rincones O, Heiniger L, Grimison P, Tran B, Stockler MR, Toner G, Cohen B, Olver I, Klein B, McJannett M, Butow P. Online psychological self-management intervention for testicular cancer survivors (e-TC 2.0): promising acceptability and preliminary efficacy, but limited feasibility.
- Bergerot CD, Battle D, Philip EJ, Bergerot PG, Msaouel P, Smith AB, Bamgboje AE, Shuch B, Derweesh IH, Jonasch E, Stern AP. Fear of Cancer Recurrence in Patients With Localized Renal Cell Carcinoma. JCO Oncology Practice. 2020 Sep:OP-20.
- Vandraas KF, Reinertsen KV, Kiserud CE, Lie HC. Fear of cancer recurrence among young adult cancer survivors—exploring long-term contributing factors in a large, population-based cohort. Journal of Cancer Survivorship. 2020 Sep 28:1-2.
- Hu X, Wang W, Wang Y, Liu K. Fear of cancer recurrence in patients with multiple myeloma: Prevalence and predictors based on a family model analysis. Psycho‐Oncology. 2020 Sep 15.
- Tan JH, Sharpe L, Russell H. The impact of ovarian cancer on individuals and their caregivers: A qualitative analysis. Psycho‐Oncology. 2020 Sep 17.
- Smith AB, Bamgboje‐Ayodele A, Butow P, Klein B, Turner J, Sharpe L, Fardell J, Beatty L, Pearce A, Thewes B, Beith J. Development and usability evaluation of an online self‐management intervention for fear of cancer recurrence (iConquerFear). Psycho‐oncology.
If you would like to include an update in the Winter newsletter, or know a student or colleague who would like to join this SIG, please reach out to Lauren Heathcote (FORwards Secretary) at [email protected].
Thank you all for the phenomenal work that you do to support people living with and beyond cancer.
Your FORwards committee
Chair: Ben Smith
Deputy Chair: Marije van der Lee
Secretary: Lauren Heathcote
Early Career Rep: Brittany Mustaers