The International Psycho-Oncology Society (IPOS) warmly welcomes to our website all cancer patients, their families and loved ones, and all those affected by cancer. Formed in 1984, IPOS members are committed to improving the quality of the lives of patients and families affected by cancer. We accomplish this aim by:
- Serving as an international body and forum for the dissemination of information to professionals and the general public about the psychological, social, behavioural and emotional aspects of cancer;
- Fostering excellence in clinical care, research and education in the specialty of psycho-oncology;
- Promoting the exchange of knowledge and information among those involved in psychosocial research, and those involved in psychosocial aspects of cancer prevention and patient care;
- Advising international, national and regional agencies about policy issues related to psycho-oncology;
- Encouraging and stimulating the formation of local, regional and national organizations that further the goals of IPOS;
- Recognizing exceptional contributions to the field of psycho-oncology through distinguished services or other awards.
The activities of IPOS are guided by our Vision – IPOS fosters the science and practice of psychosocial oncology to improve the care of people affected by cancer worldwide, and by our Mission – to promote global excellence in psychosocial care of people affected by cancer through partnerships, research, public policy, advocacy and education.
The IPOS membership represents a variety of health disciplines found around the world, including psychologists, nurses, social workers, psychiatrists, dieticians, spiritual care specialists, vocational rehabilitation specialists, physicians, patient advocates, educators and administrators, all united together to help cancer patients, families and loved ones affected by cancer. As a patient or concerned loved one, you may want to browse through the list of popular resources for patients and families that we provide on this website. We also encourage you to learn more about the patient and family support services available at your local cancer centres.
Again, welcome to the IPOS website!